Network related issues are the common problems that we all encounter while using a smartphone. Are you facing a problem using your iPhone hotspot? Fortunately, there are some simple troubleshooting tips and tricks that help you fix the problem.
The Personal hotspot is a useful feature that lets you convert your iPhone into a WiFi hotspot so that other devices like PC or smartphones can connect to it. However, sometimes your iPhone hotspot is not discovered by other devices or your device fails to enable the personal hotspot. If you are facing such issues, read on to know what’s causing the problem.
In this article, we explain in detail how to troubleshoot the iPhone tethering feature if your Personal hotspot is not working.
Fix-iPhone Hotspot Not Working
Following solutions help you solve a problematic iPhone’s personal hotspot.
Turn Cellular Data off and then back On
Your iPhone Hotspot needs Cellular data to convert your device into a WiFi hotspot. So to use Personal Hotspot make sure your cellular data is enabled. Most of the times turning your cellular data off and then back on helps to fix minor software glitches. Head over to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data. Toggle the switch next to Cellular/Mobile Data Off and then back ON again.
Verify if iPhone Tethering is available
If you are facing issues with iPhone Hotspot, first make sure you have enabled the iPhone hotspot. Sometimes your device hotspot turns off by accident or it disables during iOS update. To verify Tap Settings > Cellula/Mobile Datar> Personal Hotspot. Make sure the toggle switch next to the Personal Hotspot is turned on.
Also, make sure the hotspot password is correct. If there is confusion with a password you can change the password by going to WiFi Password.
Power Cycle your iPhone
Performing a power cycle is the best way to fix minor software glitches. It closes all the programs on your iPhone and assists to fix errors. Following steps might help to fix the problem.
- Press and hold the volume button till the power off slider is displayed.
- Drag the slider to turn off.
- Turn on the device back on by pressing the side button till the Apple logo appears.
After the restart, check if the problem is fixed. Otherwise, read on to know more ways to fix the problem.
Check for Carrier Settings Update
Apple releases regular Carrier Settings Updates to improve iPhones connections with your carrier’s network. It is worth checking for new settings updates regularly to solve connectivity issues. Here is how to check for Carrier Settings Update.
- On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Tap General and go to About.
- If new carrier settings updates are available, a pop-up box appears in a few seconds.
- Tap Update if new settings are available.
Reset Network Settings on your iPhone
Resetting network settings fixes most of the software issues in iPhone. After a reset, your iPhone is restored back to its factory defaults and erases all settings related to WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular, VPN and custom device name. Resetting the network settings could help to fix when your iPhone’s personal hotspot is not working if there are glitches in network settings. Here is how to do it.
- On your iPhone, launch Settings.
- Tap General and then select Reset.
- Tap Reset Network Settings.
- You will be asked to enter the passcode to proceed. Give the passcode and tap yes in the prompt to confirm.
Wait till your device restarts and check if your iPhone’s Hotspot is working.
Logout from iCloud
It is claimed that the iPhone hotspot problem can be resolved by logging out of your iCloud account.
- On your iPhone, open Settings.
- Tap on your username and go to Sign out.
- Log in again to re-enable the services.
Update iOS software on your iPhone
For a smooth operation, ensure your iPhone is up to date with the latest iOS versions. Follow the below steps to make sure you are running the latest version of iOS.
- On your iPhone, go to the Settings app.
- Tap General and go to Software Update.
- Check if the new iOS update is available. If available. Tap Download and Install.
Once done check if the problem is resolved.
Reset your iPhone
If all the above options fail to resolve the issue, Resetting the entire iPhone would be your last hope. Before proceeding make sure you have backed up all your data in iPhone as resettings the entire device would erase all the user data. Here is how to do it.
- Open Settings and tap General.
- Go to Reset and tap Erase All Content and Settings.
- Wait for the process to complete.
After the reset , check if the iPhone’s Hotspot is working.
Contact Apple support
If the issue still persists it could be problem-related to the hardware. Sometimes a damaged antenna causes trouble which uses cellular data for a personal hotspot. Seek help from an authorized Service provider to know what is causing the problem.