Two-factor authentication is used to protect your account from being used by hackers. Enabling it on Facebook provides your account with an extra layer of security. If you have set two-step verification, you need to have access to the phone number always. Losing access to the phone number associated with Facebook could lead to problem and can prevent you from logging your Facebook account. Keeping the disaster in mind it is always recommended to save the recovery codes so that you would be able to recover account when you don’t have your mobile device.
In this article, we explain in detail how to login to Facebook if you have lost access to the code generator.
Why set up Facebook’s two-factor authentication?
Enabling two-factor authentication secures your Facebook account. Every time you log into your account, Facebook asks for a confirmation code to complete the login process. You can receive the confirmation code through an authentication app or you can choose to receive the confirmation code as a text message from Facebook to your linked mobile number.
How to enable Facebook’s two-factor authentication
Follow the below steps to set up two-factor authentication for your Facebook account.
- Open your Facebook and navigate to Settings
- Go to Security and Login and click Edit next to the option Use two-factor Authentication.
- Click Get started.
- Choose where you want to receive the confirmation code. You can either select Text Message or third party Authentication App. whichever works best for you.
- Click Next and enter the confirmation code you received on your mobile or authentication app.
- Click Finish to complete the setup.
Once done you will be given an option to save recovery codes, set up security codes and add an authentication app.
Lost access to the phone? Here is how to log in to Facebook without a code generator
If you have set up two-factor authentication, losing your phone linked to Facebook account could get you into trouble logging back. The below-mentioned solutions help you log in to Facebook account if you have lost access to the code generator
Use Recovery codes
If you have lost access to the code generator, you can still log in to the Facebook account using the saved recovery codes. During the initial two-factor authentication setup, Facebook provides a backup option to save a set of recovery codes which comes to help when you don’t have your phone with you, for example when your travelling. Follow the below steps to use recovery codes.
- Login to your Facebook.
- Enter the recovery code that you saved earlier instead of the confirmation code that was sent to your mobile device.
Use Text message for login code
If you are using a Mac system configured with iMessage, you can receive the text messages sent to your phone to show up on your Mac. Here is how to do it.
- Login to your Facebook.
- Once you enter the account details, Enter your Login code window pops up.
- Here click the option Didn’t receive a code?
- Under the Use text message, click Text me a login code so that Facebook sends a six-digit number to your phone. If you have your iMessage configured on Mac, you would see the same code in iMessage as well on your computer.
- Enter the code and click continue.
You will now be able to login to your account successfully.
Access Facebook from an authorized device
You need not enter the code every time you log in to Facebook account. Facebook provides an option to save the browser on your authorized device. If you cant access the code generator you can try to log in your account from a saved browser provided you haven’t logged out from the device.
Submit a request to Facebook for retrieving your account
If the above solutions didn’t work for you, seek help from Facebook support. Submit a request to Facebook for your account retrieval.
For more tips, check out How to recover Facebook account when you cant login.