Have you ever wondered how to record a screen on your Mac? Well, whether you want to record a video clip, document a problem or make a quick demo, Mac makes it easy to record a screen. The screen recorder tool comes within Mac which you can easily edit and share it with others. The tool lets you screen record an entire screen or only a selected portion of the screen. If you are using Mac that runs macOS Catalina or BigSur you can use the screenshot app that comes within Mac. For older versions, you can record screen using Quick Time Player. In this article, we explain how to record screen in Mac
How to record screen on your Mac
- Use Shift-Command-5
- Use Quick Time Player
If your running newer versions of macOS like macOS Mojave, Catalia or macOS Big Sur, you can record the screen with the help of an inbuilt app called Screenshot. Here is how to do it.
- On your keyboard, press Command + Shift + 5 to open Screenshot.
- A small onscreen control window appears at the bottom of the screen. You can record the entire screen or record only a selected portion of the screen.
- To record a whole screen, click the icon that shows a screen with a solid outline and circle in the bottom.
- To record only a selected portion of the screen, click the icon that shows a screen with a dotted outline and circle in the bottom. You can drag the section to resize or move over the screen.
- Click Record on the control box to start recording.
- To stop recording, press Stop button at the top of the screen or press Command + Control + Esc.
- Go to Options on the control box to change settings. You can set a timer, turn on your microphone, choose where your recordings will be saved, choose to show floating thumbnail and more.
2.Use Quick Time Player
If you’re using Mac that runs macOS Mojave or earlier, you can record your screen with the help of Quick Timne Player. Here is how to do it.
- Open Quick Time Player from the application folder and click File.
- Select New Screen Recording from the menu.
- Click the arrow next to the record button to set recording options.
- Now click the red Record button.
- To record the whole screen, click anywhere on the screen.
- To record only the portion of the screen, click and drag the cursor to select the portion and click Start Recording button.
- Press Command + Control + Esc to stop recording.