Glued to smartphones can have an adverse effect on ones mental health over the long run. Apple’s Screen Time addresses these issues. By setting screen time on your device you can track how much time you or your kids spend daily on apps, social media, games and more.
Having children in this day and age presents many challenges. Are you concerned about your kids sucked into their screen? Its time to take some measures to limit their device usages and think about their well being. With the help of Screen Time, you can set parental controls on your iPhone or iPad and track how much time your kids spend daily on devices. In this article, we guide you on how to use Screen Time for your child on an iPhone or iPad.
How to set up parental controls with ScreenTime on your child’s iPhone or iPad
- On your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings and tap Screen Time.
- Tap Continue button on the insights menu
- To set up Screen Time for your child tap This is My Child’s iPhone/iPad.
- On the Downtime menu, set a schedule for time away from the screen. Tap Start and End to schedule a time.
- Once done tap Set Downtime
- Now on the App Limits menu, set your child’s time limits for the app categories. Select the app categories.
- Tap on Time Amount and scroll down to set a daily time limit for the selected apps.
- Once done, tap Set App Limit.
- In the Content & Privacy controls, tap Continue button.
- In the Screen Time Passcode menu, create a four-digit passcode that will be required to change screen time settings or set more time.
- Re-enter your passcode in the next menu.
- You can also set Screen Time Passcode Recovery with Apple ID and password in case you forget the Screen Time passcode.
- Select Communication limit to control who your child communicates throughout the day and during downtime. The limits are set to Messages, phone, FaceTime and iCloud contacts.
- Enter parents passcode and tap During Allowed Screen Time. You can allow communication either with Everyone or Contacts Only.
- Tap During Downtime to limit with whom your child can communication during downtime.
Screen Time is now active on your child’s device. To change settings, launch Screen Time and enter your Screen Time passcode.
How to set up parental controls with ScreenTime through Family Sharing
You can set Screen Time rules for your family members through Family Sharing. To set screen time for your child through family sharing, first, create an Apple ID for your children and add the account to Family Sharing. Once you have added child’s account to family sharing you can set their screen time. Here is how to do it.
- Go to Settings and tap on your Apple ID.
- Tap Family Sharing and tap Screen Time.
- Follow the prompts to customize settings for Downtime, App Limits, Content & Privacy and create a passcode.
- To change settings, launch Screen Time and enter your Screen Time passcode.
For more tips, check out Instagram Screenshot Notification:How does it work?.