You iPhone is not completely resistant to problems. Do you own an iPhone that doesn’t respond to your taps or gets stuck when you turn it on ? or You see a black screen which doesn’t respond to your tap but can hear alerts and vibrations? If this is your problem, this article is for you. Frozen iPhone is attributed to many underlying problems like memory leaks, software bugs, corrupt files and others. This article outlines some troubleshooting ideas to fix the problem.
Fix: iPhone won’t start up or is frozen
Charge your iPhone
The first and foremost thing to do when your iPhone doesn’t respond is to ensure if it hasn’t run out of battery. Sometimes although your device is fully charged, the battery could drain off rapidly due to problematic apps on your iPhone. So even if your iPhone had enough power its quite possible that it drained off because of underlying issues. That said, it is necessary to plug in your iPhone and charge it for at least an hour no matter if it was fully charged before shutting down. Start troubleshooting, if your iPhone turns on after attaching to a power source.
To avoid the unexpected shutdowns in future, identify the problematic apps and services that are consuming your iPhone’s power. Update the apps if necessary or remove the problematic apps if possible. Also, While charging your iPhone make sure that you see the charging screen within few minutes after plugin the device to the charger. If you don’t see the charging screen after a few minutes, check for attached USB cable or power adapter. Make sure they are working properly. If found damaged, replace the charger or cable. If your iPhone won’t start up, proceed to next step.
Initiate force restart
Most of the iPhone issues are fixed by a simple restart. However, If your iPhone screen is black and doesn’t display the power off slider you can initiate a force restart. force restart comes to rescue when your iPhone screen is frozen and you cannot do a basic restart. Fore restart is safe and It doesn’t erase your personal data saved in the internal memory of your phone. It can be initiated with appropriate buttons depending on your iPhone model. Here is how to do it.
Force Restart iPhone 8 or later
- On your iPhone, press and release the Volume Up and Volume down button.
- Press and hold the side button for few seconds until you see Apple logo on the screen.
Force Restart iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus(7th generation)
- On your iPhone, press and hold both side button and Volume Down button until you see Apple logo on the screen.
Force Restart iPhone 6 s or earlier(6th generation or earlier)
- Press and hold both the Home button and Side button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Repair and restore iPhone from recovery mode
Restart your iPhone in recovery mode if your iPhone turns on but gets stuck with the blue screen or Apple logo during startup. Restarting your iPhone in recovery mode repairs any corrupt files that caused the unexpected shutdown. There are different ways to repair and restore your iPhone depending on the device model. Here is how to do it.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using a USB cable.
- On your, Mac open Finder and locate your iPhone on your computer.
- If you are using iPhone 8 or later models, press and release the Volume Up and Volume down button. Then press and hold the side button for few seconds until your device goes into recovery mode.
- If you’re using iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus press and hold both side button and Volume Down button until your device goes into recovery mode.
- If your using iPhone 6s or earlier Press and hold both the Home button and Side button until your device goes into recovery mode.
- Once your iPhone goes to recovery mode, choose the Update button on your computer.
Your computer will now download and reinstall the iOS without erasing your iPhone’s data. If the whole recovery process takes more than fifteen minutes, exit the recovery mode and repeat the above steps. If you are using macOS Mojave or earlier version or any other PC the steps are the same as above except that you use iTunes on your computer to restore your device.
Contact Apple Support
If the problem persists, seek help from an authorized Apple service provider in bringing your iPhone back to normal.
You may also like – How To Completely Reset MacBook Pro (All Variants) Without Losing Data!